With frequent power cuts plaguing people countrywide, many people are resorting to generators to supply in their power needs. However, people should ensure that they buy safe generators or at least ensure that their generators are as safe as possible. You need to follow the safety guidelines like you would with any other piece of electrical equipment. As with other equipment, generators can be the best invention yet to you or it can cause serious harm or even death if precautions are not taken.
To maintain the safety aspect of any generator, the following could be of some importance:
- You will need to have the generator serviced on a regular interval or after a certain amount of hours use to make sure that all pipes, fittings and valves are in a good working condition.
- Ensure that the generator is only used in a well ventilated area as the burnt diesel or petrol is made up of carbon monoxide whuch is lethal in large quantities
- Ensure that there is always a supply of fuel on hand to last for some time depending on your power situation.
- Whenever your generator is not used for long periods of time, make sure to close the taps to ensure that leakages does not occur.
- Ensure that your generator is fitted with a voltage regulator.
- Ensure that the wiring to and from your generator is according to the specifications.
- Fit your generator with a “super silent” or “all weather” canopy to protect from the elements and to be sure your generator performs as require
At Gentek, we will help you to make sure you have safe generators all around. Contact us today for the best price, service and advice on generators and protect yourself from being left in the dark.